Chewy, crunchy, and unbelievably satisfying, this awesome oat bread might just become your new favorite. It's amazing toasted!
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons Red Star Yeast Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine Platinum yeast, one cup flour, oats, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large measuring cup (or small bowl), combine water, oil and syrup. Heat to 120-130 degrees F (I did this in the microwave!).
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry mixture in the mixing bowl. Using paddle attachment, beat on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Gradually add in the remaining flour and knead with dough hook 5-7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Add in the walnuts and cranberries and knead gently by hand until combined.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turned to grease the entire dough ball. Cover and let rise until dough tests ripe. (Read hereto learn what that means if you don't know.)
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and punch down to remove air bubbles. Form into a (approximately) 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with the short side, roll up tightly to form a roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until indentation remains after touching.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unless your dough is rising in the oven. Then wait.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-40 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool before slicing.