These chicken skewers are wonderfully spiced and the boneless chicken thighs ensure that they will always be moist. The garlic sauce is nice and garlic-y and a perfect complement to the chicken. Serve with chopped fresh tomatoes and cucumber, for a filling meal or a fun snack.
I should note that I decided to photograph them so you could see all the ingredients and with the meat on the skewers. To actually eat these, I find it nicest to cut the pita in half, open up the pocket, fill with vegetables and them top with the meat and garlic sauce. You can eat these “taco-style”, by just folding in half with all the goodies in side, but it’s a lot of bread, as the pitas are quite thick.
- For the sauce: Whisk all ingredients together until combined and thick. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- For the chicken: In a large bowl, combine the garlic, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, Salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir well to combine. Add olive oil to make a thick paste. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat well. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- *If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes before using.
- To cook skewers, thread 4-5 pieces of chicken on to each skewer. Cook over medium-high grill or grill pan or cook under the broiler in the oven on a foil lined baking pan (6-inches from heat). Cook, turning once, until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- To serve: Cut warm pita bread in half. For each serving, place two pita pieces filled with tomatoes and cucumber and two warm chicken skewers on a plate. Garnish with mint leaves. Remove chicken from skewers in to the pita with the vegetables. Top with garlic sauce and mint leaves.