I am a fan of Jamaican style jerk flavours and with the cooler weather rolling in I was thinking that a nice hearty stew using those flavours would be perfect! Some of the predominant flavours in Jamaican jerk dishes are the allspice, thyme, cinnamon, and citrus along with the spicy heat from the scotch bonnet peppers!
This stew starts out with some stewing beef such as chuck, round or brisket (such as Ontario Corn Fed Beef) which is browned in the pan to build up flavour. Up next are some vegetables including onions, potatoes and carrots followed by the seasonings with an extra hit of umami flavour in the form of soy sauce Worcestershire sauce! I like to throw some peas in near the end for some colour along with the green onions. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off this recipe, it's so easy to make and it really only require about 30 minutes of active time where the rest is just unattended simmering time! This tasty Jamaican style jerk beef stew with it's melt in your mouth tender beef is the perfect comfort food for any occasion!
Serve this jerk beef stew over beans and rice cooked in coconut milk!
Jamaican Style Jerk Beef Stew
Slow cooked Jamaican style, melt in your mouth, jerk beef stew that is just packed with flavour!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Ontario Corn Fed stewing beef such as chuck, round, brisket, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1+ scotch bonnet pepper (or habanero pepper)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 potatoes, peed and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 orange, juice and zest
- 1 lime, juice and zest (or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup peas
- green onions to taste, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the beef and brown on all sides before setting aside.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes, before adding the garlic, ginger and pepper(s) and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beef broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as the broth sizzles in the hot pan.
- Add the beef, potatoes, carrots, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, thyme, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg and either reduce and simmer cover until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste add the peas and enjoy garnished with green onions!
Option: For the slow cooker method you can skip steps 1-3 to save time but this will cut down on the flavour a bit.
Option: Add a splash (or two) of dark rum.
Tip: Serve with rice cooked in coconut milk instead of water! Add beans to the rice!